We live in exciting times when we can implement technological breakthroughs in our everyday lives.
EBikes are a perfect example. They are all the rage.
Luckily, they have been on the market long enough so we can buy newer and better models at a much lower cost.
In this review, we’ll be going over Rocket eBike. We want to point out some of the features, pros, and cons so you can decide with ease if Rocket eBike is right for you.
So, do you want a Rocket for half the price?
Let’s find out.
The story behind Rocket eBike
Rocket Bike company was formed by a close group of friends from Belfast, UK. They are all experts in their respective fields united over a beer by a common desire — to ride the best eBike. Since it didn’t exist yet, they got to work.
Their brainchild Rocket eBike had to be designed from scratch. The frame and the regenerative braking system are designed by them. They have handpicked all the components to ensure quality and affordable price for their customers.
The company is launching two new models for summer 2021 and three new models for summer 2022 because anyone should use electric modes of transportation.
Their aim is to be a leading global brand in the eBike field.
What is Rocket eBike
Rocket eBike is a self-charging 100-mile range eBike.
It is the first eBike with a 100-mile range, regenerative braking, all-terrain tires, and a compact foldable frame.
Rocket eBike is a rear-wheel drive with either a 250W (EU buyers) or 750W (US buyers) engine from Bafang with high torque and uphill efficiency.
You can currently find it only on Indiegogo where it was instantly funded in 5 minutes. It surpassed the goal by 3360% with 17 days still left.
You can buy the Rocket eBike for $999 (49% OFF) on Indiegogo. Choose a trendy color and expect it in the mail by February 2021.
Innovative features of Rocket eBike
Industry-leading 100-mile range. This is achieved through the perfect combination of innovative regenerative braking and a lightweight frame. With Rocket eBike you can go on long-distance adventures without worrying about your eBike dying halfway through.
Regenerative braking technology. Regenerative braking = extra juice. The Rocket boasts a 100-mile range on a single charge. This is made possible thanks to regenerative brakes. Juice up your battery on the move with Rocket eBike’s Kinetic Energy Recovery System that transfers energy to your battery. Every time you brake, go downhill or just cruise, the bike uses kinetic energy to recharge the battery. Self-charging eBikes should become the norm.
Cruise control. Switch it on and when the bike has the same speed for 5 seconds, it locks in that speed. You turn it off by braking.
Body Position: Upright relaxed
Suggested Use: Commuting to work, riding mountain trails, or cruising the beach (All-terrain)
Electric Bike Class: US Model 750W — Class 2 Mode (20 mph with throttle only); Class 3 Mode (28 mph with pedal assist); EU Model 250W — 25km/h or 15.5 mph
Warranty: 2 years
Total Weight: 60 lbs (27 kg) with battery. Without a battery, it weighs 24 kg.
Unfolded dimensions: 126 cm high, 178 cm long, 60 cm wide
Folded dimensions: 74 cm high, 99 cm long, 52 cm wide
Battery: 48V 15AH, Panasonic cell battery that you charge without removing from the eBike. It easily slides out if you want to remove it. The regular charge lasts 4 hours. It also has a quick recharge function which charges in 2 hours. Note that a fast charger is an add-on at extra cost. Battery life is 1000 cycles which will last you 3 years if ridden daily.
Motor: Brushless hub Bafang 750W motor is affordable but powerful, with a remarkably high industry-leading torque of 100Nm.
Display: Waterproof smart color LCD Display with phone holder and USB charger. It gives you a clear picture of your status: 1-5 pedal assist level, speed, battery life, distance, and temperature.
Front light. Rocket Bike has an integrated front light as standard. You control it on the screen on the handlebar. It is 750 lumens strong. If you select the rear rack in the checkout, you get an integrated rear light as well.
Frame Material: 6061 Aircraft-grade Aluminum alloy frame
Gearing Details: Shimano 7 Speed Gears
Handlebar: clean design with 2 ergonomic handgrips on each side (one which doubles as a throttle on the US version). You have plenty of space for accessories (like a bike bell).
Brake System: Front and rear 180mm Tektro hydraulic disc brakes
Saddle: Comfortable Waterproof
Tires: 4.0” x 20.0” anti-puncture fat tires
“Let’s have a moment of silence for all those
who are stuck in traffic on the way to the gym
to ride stationary bikes.”
- Range. Astonishing 100 miles (162 km) on a single charge. The rule is: You want to get as much range as you can afford. I guess that’s also the logic behind Rocket’s creation.
- Regenerative braking. As long as the battery is over 10% charged, the regenerative braking system is activated. The system is automatically activated and always active. If you want, you can completely shut down the motor and electronics and ride the Rocket eBike as a conventional bicycle.
- Power and Speed. The US model is 750W with higher speeds than the EU model which is restricted by EU laws. The US model is shipped worldwide so you can order it even in the EU and ride on private roads.
- Hidden battery. The battery is conveniently hidden in the frame which can be folded with the battery still inside. If you like, you can take the battery out for security reasons.
- Cruise Control. A highly convenient feature that can be enabled with one push of a button.
- Full suspension. It smooths out the ride. You won’t feel bumpy rocks.
- Size. Rocket eBike is small, foldable, and light. It takes away all the disadvantages of the regular bicycle. Rocket folds in seconds in 3 simple steps. You can fold pedals in one click.
- Weight. A low weight of 60 lbs (27 kg) is made possible with an aluminum alloy frame. Weight is a huge factor to consider when buying an eBike. While they are all on the heavy side, you can still lift Rocket up and on and off a bike rack.
- Fat tires. Anti-puncture fat tires can take you off-road, provide ultimate comfort and great control at the same time.
- All-terrain. You can ride on the beach, uphill, nothing is off-limits.
- Adjustable Parts. You can adjust the front suspension to fully adjust the Rocket eBike to your weight and riding style. Easily adjustable saddle and handlebar height are designed to comfortably fit riders between 4’10 and 6’8 (150 cm to 200 cm). Rocket Bike has a recommended weight limit of 330 lbs (150 kg).
- Easily adjustable seat. The seat can be raised or lowered easily with just one hand.
- Low price. In case you are new to the eBike world, they don’t come cheap. No matter how much you want to spend on an eBike, you have to admit — this is a bargain. At $999 currently being offered on Indigogo, which is half the usual price, this is a rare and incredible opportunity. Note that the price will increase once the Indiegogo campaign is over.
- Pedal assist. 1—5 levels of pedal assist. You can pedal as much or as little you want.
- Standardized parts. Standardized gears and chain (7 speed Shimano) can be easily found in different stores and online.
- Pre-assembled. No need for assembly is a big plus. Just unpack it and go for a ride.
- Charger included. Unlike some companies (Apple), Rocket eBike comes with a charger. When traditional methods work, why change the system.
- Manual included. You would be amazed at how many eBikes come without a manual. Learning the ropes is much easier if you get a manual. It can save you hours spent on YouTube looking for tutorials.
- It’s fashionable. Rocket eBike has a sporty look and comes in 6 colors.
- Not a renowned brand. Solution: Give them some time. New companies trying to prove themselves are more eager to please their customers either with innovative products or great customer support. Large companies are notorious for bad customer service. Additionally, new companies adapt faster than giants and can persevere in changing times.
- Production is overseas. In order to cut costs, you get an eBike produced in Taiwan. Solution: The company already has people on-site to oversee the quality of production. They could promise to make more Taiwan trips to check up on the production and have a few beers while at it. In any case, there is no need to change a thing. Everybody does it. Customers get a quality product and should be happy.
- Components are extra cost, and only available on Indiegogo. Solution: give it some time. The website will be up and running in a couple of months. All spare parts will be available from their website in the future.
- External bulky cables are exposed and look unappealing. Solution: put a ribbon on it.
- Kickstand. From the video and photos provided on Indiegogo, we concluded that Rocket doesn’t come with a kickstand. This is a nice feature that the Belfast team should include with future projects.
- Buying online. Solution: get over it. E-commerce is on the rise. With coronavirus pandemic, it’s safer this way.
- Mail delivery. We know that some people may be discouraged by ordering eBike via mail, especially because it comes with a motor and a battery. Solution: write an email to Rocket Company asking them to double bubble wrap everything, and put a ribbon on it.
- Only available on Indiegogo currently. We realize that coming late to an Indiegogo campaign may leave you without a Rocket. Solution: patience is a virtue. The company has many plans already set in course, so we will all just have to wait to be amazed.
Why buy this eBike?
The saying goes — you get what you pay for. In this case, you get a whole lot more.
We weighed pros and cons, and we can honestly say — this Rocket you have to buy. When compared to other eBikes we previously reviewed, the Rocket has more range, more power, higher top speed, higher torque, regenerative braking, and much more — while costing less.
Rocket eBike stands out because it was designed to maximize what people love in eBikes. It is fashionable and with great technological features.
As autoevolution wrote: a serious contender for the crown of the e-bike industry is here.
We couldn’t agree more.
Enjoy riding it…